Nathan T. Edwards
Before you take the time to set your personal goals, you should first figure out what you want. I mean really want. Something you want so much that it gnaws at you. Something that keeps you awake at night because it is something that will make a difference in your life.
Let’s say you are tired of hitching a ride with your friends and/or taking the bus. It’s time to get your
own car. However, you’re going to need at least a $1,000 for a down payment and another $500 for insurance. And that’s not going to be easy, because you’ve never been a good saver and right now your savings account is almost empty. So you’d better really want to do this because there is going to be pain and failure along the way, so your desire must be strong enough to overcome all obstacles.
Here then are some steps to effective goal setting:
- If it’s not in writing, it’s not a goal, it’s a wish.
- If it’s not specific it’s not a goal.
- It has to be believable. If you don’t really think you can do it, you won’t pay the price to do it.
- It should be a challenge; it should push you beyond where you are.
- Don’t set short term goals for more than 30 or 60 days. Otherwise you’ll lose interest.
- Set activity goals not production goals. If your goals are production (end results), you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. In this example, you need to accumulate $1,500. The goal should not be to save so much money every week. Instead your goals should be to execute the activities that will enable you to put a certain amount every week. That means you need to bring in more money and/or spend less. So one goal might be to work 8 hours of overtime each week. Another could be to eat breakfast at home instead of spending $7 or $8 every morning at Starbucks. These are the kind of goals that you control and can be accomplished without relying on others or luck.
- Start today. Think about what you really want and write down some short-term goals that will get you going in the right direction.
You’ll soon realize that goal setting leads to goal realization which leads to new and more ambitious goals which leads to more and more success.
For more information go to www.advanage20x.com or call 877-588-8391.
Super Concentrated. Removes the most stubborn stains.